Pages

Sep 7, 2015

Mountain Drive + Dry Lake

We went for a drive in the mountains up to Dry Lake. A very weird name for a lake, isn't it?  I haven't been up to Dry Lake in years, and Dad wanted to take Spegs fishing. I forgot how much I love driving in the mountains on a warm day with the windows down!  The evergreen tree needles and the eucalyptus leaves in the sunshine smell SO good!  Thank you Lord for allowing us to live in this beautiful place!


We came upon this beautiful little waterfall by accident. It was such an unexpected blessing!
 




Dry Lake is the strangest lake I have ever seen. It is covered in hundreds of thousands of tiny lily pads in dozen of colors. Reds, greens, yellows, oranges, browns, reds with yellow, greens with red, yellows with green, oranges with brown... The lake is pretty dirty, what you can see of it anyway. It would be impossible to swim in, the lily pads have crazy long stems attached to the roots way down below them, and poor Reese was getting all tangled up in them while fetching sticks. I can't imagine anything living in it, but Dad says that there are fish there, and while he didn't catch any, he got a bite, so that made him happy! 


Natural confetti 





Dad found this beautiful little butterfly, and it let me get really close to it. Instead of flying away, it kept thrashing around like it was hurt. I got it to crawl up onto my finger, and then it was able to fly away... right into the lake. Luckily it landed in the water close to shore, and Mom found a long stick nearby, so I was able to get it out of the water. Poor thing was tipped completely sideways in the water, I was afraid it had drowned. It was okay though, and Spegs got it to crawl on his arm before we left. He told Mom it was a shame he had to say goodbye, he would sure miss it.   









On our way back, we stopped at a really pretty spot at the river, not far from Dry Lake. 



Spegs love to "rock hop" 



No comments: